About Anina Fitzgibbon
Dr Anina Fitzgibbon has over a decade’s experience as a Dermatologist and has been an important member of the dermatology team at the Dermatology Institute of Victoria for more than 6 years.
In 2005 Dr Fitzgibbon specialised in Dermatology and Allergology in Finland and within the same year completed a PhD that studied the effects of smoking on the skin. In 2008 she moved to Australia and became a Fellow of the Australasian College of Dermatology. Anina has extensive experience in clinical and scientific work and has worked in both public and private dermatology clinics over many years including the following hospitals in Melbourne: the Royal Melbourne Hospital, the Victorian Melanoma Service at the Alfred Hospital and St Vincent’s Hospital.
Dr Fitzgibbon has a keen interest in the diagnoses and treatment of all skin conditions including: eczema, psoriasis, acne, acne scarring, rosacea as well as the detection and treatment of skin cancer. Anina is also very experienced in the use of vascular lasers for the treatment of broken blood vessels, erythema, general skin improvement and rejuvenation. Anina also regularly uses the Fraxel Dual laser for the treatment of acne scarring, pigmentation and rejuvenation, she is also a skilled injector utilising muscle relaxant injections for upper face rejuvenation and anti-sweating injections to treat hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating).
Dr Anina Fitzgibbon welcomes new referrals.
Request an appointment with Anina
Below are references to clinical publications that Dr Anina Fitzgibbon née Raitio, former married name Knuutinen has contributed to:
- Kaukinen A, Fitzgibbon A, Oikarinen A, Hinkkanen L, Viinikanoja M, Harvima IT. 2014. Increased numbers of tryptase-positive mast cells in the healthy and sun-protected skin of tobacco smokers. Dermatology. 229 (4):353-8.
- Raitio A. 2005. “Smoking and skin. Comparison of the appearance, physical qualities, morphology, collagen synthesis and extracellular matrix turnover of skin in smokers and non-smokers”. PhD Thesis.
- Raitio A, Tuomas H, Kokkonen N, Salo T, Sorsa T, Hanemaaijer R, Oikarinen A. 2005. Levels of matrix metalloproteinase -2, -9 and -8 in the skin, serum and saliva of smokers and non-smokers. Arch Dermatol Res. 297 (6):242-48.
- Raitio A, Kontinen J, Rasi M, Bloigu R, Röning J, Oikarinen A. 2004. Comparison of clinical analysis and computerized image analysis in the assessment of skin ageing in smokers and non-smokers. Acta Derm Venereol. 84:422-27.
- Knuutinen A, Kokkonen N, Risteli J, Vähäkangas K, Kallioinen M, Salo T, Sorsa T, Oikarinen A. 2002. Smoking affects collagen synthesis and extracellular matrix turnover in human skin. Br J Dermatol. Apr;146 (4):588-94.
- Knuutinen A, Kallioinen M, Vähäkangas K, Oikarinen A. 2002. Smoking and skin: a study of the physical qualities and histology of skin in smokers and non-smokers. Acta Derm Venereol. 82 (1):36-40.
- Oikarinen A, Knuutinen A. 2002. Mechanical properties of human skin: Biochemical Aspects. In: Bioengineering of the skin. Elsner, Berardesca, Wilhelm, Maibach (Eds). CRC Press LLC. 3-16.
- Oikarinen A and Raitio A. 2000. Melanoma and other skin cancers in circumpolar areas. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. 59:52-6.
- Raitio A. and Oikarinen A. 1999. Tobacco, skin and preventive health education. Retinoids & lipid-soluble vitamins in clinical practice. 15:54-6.
- Raitio A, Järvelin M-R, Joffe M, Martikainen H, Hartikainen A-L. 1998. Trends and international comparisons in infertility in circumpolar areas. International Journal of Circumpolar Health 57:2-3, pp.123-32.
- Raitio A, Haapasaari K-M, Oikarinen A. 1998. Tupakka ja iho. Suomen Lääkärilehti 33:3791-93.
- Knuutinen A, Salo, T, Oikarinen A. 2002. Altered collagen metabolism in the skin of smokers. (Abstract). Annales de Dermatologie - Journal of World Congress of Dermatology. Presented as a poster at 20th World Congress of Dermatology, Paris, France, 30.6. - 5.7.2002.
- Raitio A, Risteli, J, Vähäkangas K, Oikarinen A. 2000. Evidence of disturbed collagen metabolism in smokers - a possible etiologic factor for accelerated skin aging. (Abstract) Journal of Investigative Dermatology 114:822. Presented as a poster at the Society for Investigative Dermatology, conference (SID), Chicago, USA, 10-14.5.2000.
- Raitio A, Vähäkangas K, Haapasaari K-M, Risteli J ja Oikarinen A. 1999. Smoking Downregulates collagen synthesis in skin. (Abstract) Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 113:452. Presented as a poster at European Society for Dermatological Research, conference (ESDR), Montpellier, France, 22 - 25.9.1999.